Button-down shirts (or the daring, forward, “dressed down” look) are a staple of classy guys’ wardrobes. Although button-up shirts are no longer the norm (since the advent of the undershirt), button-down shirts are still seen as “smart casual” dresses and are worn by men of all ages (and even daring women!) Button-down shirts are also the key to the latest fashion trend sweeping the fashion world: the button-up shirt.
The Way of How to Rock a Button-Down
The button-down shirt is a staple of men’s wardrobes across the world, but it’s a style that, in the past, has been pretty unattainable for women. In recent years, though, the button-down shirt has been made more accessible by introducing cotton fabrics that are designed to be worn for a longer time. The result is a shirt that looks just as good, if not better, than a classic, fitted button-up shirt. Here are the different ways to rock a button-down for men and women.
How to wear button-downs for men:
- Over a T-shirt- We’re all about looking cool, but sometimes it can be hard to choose what you’d like to wear. When you want to look cool, but it’s hot, or you’re in a hurry, then it’s just not practical to wear a button-down. Instead, you should rock a button-down over a t-shirt.
- Tuck In or No Tuck In- The button-down shirt has been a staple of men’s wardrobe for decades. The style is easy to wear and looks great, but a big problem with a button-down is it’s boring. Thankfully, there is a way to make a “button-down” shirt a lot more interesting by adding a “Tuck In” or “No Tuck In” option to the tail. Even better, people will think you’re a cool guy if you have a “Tuck In” instead of a “No Tuck In”.
- Button-Down Layered Style Dressing- If you’re a guy, and you’re on the hunt for a new style to try, you’ll want to check out the button-down, layered style. If you’re unfamiliar with this new style, button-downs are full-length shirts that button up the bottom. They come in a variety of styles and colors. A layered style has two or more button-downs layered on top of each other to create a more casual look.
How to wear button-downs for women:
- With a structured coat and tailored denim — Is it time to get rid of the vest and tie and embrace the button-down look for women. Not if you’re wearing a structured coat and tailored denim. The dress code might be a little more relaxed these days, but a button-down piece is a must-have for any wardrobe. It’s a versatile piece that’s easy to mix and match with a host of different styles. A button-down is a versatile essential for your closet, from a tailored shirt and slacks to a structured coat and tailored denim.
- Paired with athleisure- It seems that there is a new trend in women’s fashion these days: button-down shirts with trendy athleisure sneakers. This super cool combo is the perfect way to stay comfy but still look good.
- As a monochrome look, tied at the waist- Button downs are a staple in men’s fashion, and while simple in design, they can be worn in various ways. When worn under a sweater, the look can come off as stuffy and dull, and when worn without a tie, it looks like you haven’t showered. The combination of the two looks monochrome, the two buttons down, and the two look classy and put together.
There are plenty of ways for you to wear a button-down shirt. You can wear just the top button or button-down the full way. You can put your arms in the sleeves if you want to wear the whole shirt buttoned up, just like an ascot. You can wear them open. You can wear them unbuttoned. You can wear it in different styles on different occasions. Now, if you are looking for style points, you can do it with button-down shirts.